IEG Fellowships for Doctoral Students
The next deadline for applications is February 15, 2020
for fellowships beginning in September 2020 or later.
The IEG has two deadlines each year for IEG Fellowships for Doctoral Students: February 15 and August 15.
Fellows must submit a final report of ther project at the end of the funding period.
- the completed application form
- curriculum vitae and a list of publications (if applicable) (please do not send photographs)
- an outline of the Ph.D.-thesis (up to 15,000 characters excluding footnotes and spaces)
- the structure of the Ph.D.-thesis
- a detailed timetable for the intended stay at the Institute
- copies of university transcripts and proof of language competence
Please use the IEG application form which can be found under Downloads on the right.
Applications should be submitted by email to: email@example.com
Leibniz Institute of European History
Prof. Irene Dingel and Prof. Johannes Paulmann
Re: Fellowship Application
You may write in either English or German; we recommend that you use the language in which you are most proficient.
The letter of reference should discuss (please avoid a general letter of recommendation):
- The applicant’s academic qualifications
- Topic matter, goal and current state of the PhD project
- A synopsis of work to be done in Mainz along with possible time and work schedules
Additionally, you will need a potential second referee, who will be contacted directly by the IEG (see application form under 14b). We recommend that you inform the potential second referee about your application and a potential letter of reference in advance.
Letters of reference should contain information on the question, method, results, and representation of your research project. Additionally, they should also give an evaluation regarding the recent state of research on the topic.
1. Fellowship rates (from 01/01/2019)
The IEG Fellowships are jointly funded by the federal and state government. The fellowships are used exclusively for the purpose of conducting the research project described in the application at the IEG. Thus, no other form of employment or funding can be pursued or availed of for the duration of the fellowship.
IEG Fellowship for doctoral students have a monthly value of € 1,350.
2. Family allowance
Fellowship holders whose partners accompany them to Mainz and do not have an income of more than 450 euros per month may receive a family allowance. Please indicate in your application whether your partner accompanies you to Mainz.
Fellows who come to Mainz accompanied by their underage children can apply for child allowance.
Please direct your questions to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
In case of doubt the German version is valid.