Fellowships for Doctoral Students
IEG Fellowships for Doctoral StudentsApplication Reference Value of Fellowships Contact
The next deadline for applications is February 15, 2020
for fellowships beginning in September 2020 or later.
The IEG has two deadlines each year for IEG Fellowships for Doctoral Students: February 15 and August 15.
- the completed application form
- curriculum vitae and a list of publications (if applicable) (please do not send photographs)
- an outline of the Ph.D.-thesis (up to 15,000 characters excluding footnotes and spaces)
- the structure of the Ph.D.-thesis
- a detailed timetable for the intended stay at the Institute
- copies of university transcripts and proof of language competence
Applications should be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Leibniz Institute of European History
Prof. Irene Dingel and Prof. Johannes Paulmann
Re: Fellowship Application
The reference should discuss (please avoid a general letter of recommendation):
- The applicant’s academic qualifications
- Topic matter, goal and current state of the PhD project
- A synopsis of work to be done in Mainz along with possible time and work schedules
Additionally, you will need a potential second referee, who will be contacted directly by the IEG (see application form under 14b). We recommend that you inform the potential second referee about your application and a potential letter of reference in advance.
Specialist evaluations should contain information on the question, method, results and representation of your research project, and they should also give an evaluation with regard to the current state of research on the topic.
1. Fellowship rates (from 01/01/2019)
The IEG Fellowships are jointly funded by the federal and state government. The fellowships are used exclusively for the purpose of conducting the research project described in the application at the IEG. Thus, no other form of employment or funding can be pursued or availed of for the duration of the fellowship.
IEG Fellowship for doctoral students have a monthly value of € 1,350.
2. Family allowance
Fellowship holders whose partners accompany them to Mainz and do not have an income of more than 450 euros per month may receive a family allowance. Please indicate in your application whether your partner accompanies you to Mainz.
Fellows who come to Mainz accompanied by their underage children can apply for child allowance.
Please direct your questions to the following address: email@example.com
In case of doubt the German version is valid.